May 20, 2005

TEXT | 5 Entries

by Lee Weng Choy
Source: Mesh 17

Choy suggests "the practice of art criticism hasn’t necessarily changed that much, even if a large number of writers have become cyborgs. Much of my writing concerns an ill-defined category, “contemporary” art. What this field comprises, which is usually contrasted with “traditional” or “modern” art, is subject to unending debate. But like many art writers, I don’t find it necessary to engage directly in those debates. Most of the time, I write about the practices and contexts of living artists, and contest a variety of issues, from the function of public art to the politics of representation and multiculturalism. And when I write about art and science, I often resort to themes in natural history rather than address technology. This text is something of an exception. It is, for me, an early entry into the area of “new technologies” and art."

Read the entire essay online at:
http://www.experimenta.org/mesh/mesh17/choy.htm